Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Becoming The White Swan: Wardrobe 🦢

The ballet Swan Lake follows the story of Odette, who is a princess that gets turned into a swan by the evil sorcerer von Rothbart. This curse can only be broken by true love, which she thinks she finds with Prince Siegfried but he cheats on her with Odile, who impersonates her at the ball. In some versions, Siegfried defeats von Rothbart and they live happily ever after. Most versions have a tragic ending where either Odette kills herself or they both die together. Beautiful! To me, the beauty of Odette lies in not just her tragedy but her romantic nature and her fragility. I'll guide you through how to become like Odette: wardrobe first!


The Premise

My vision of Odette's wardrobe is a soft, feminine collection of clothes that feel put together and classy without being OTT. The main colours will be whites, pastel shades, and greys. Any accessories will be minimal or small. Basically, think a paler, dialled-back version of balletcore with a sprinkle of gloom to bring in that tragedy and melancholy that her story holds.

Tops

For Odette, I would go for plainer tops, avoiding any bright colours, patterns, or revealing elements. Include plenty of basic camisoles in different colours and styles into your outfit rotations. Lace details, small bows or flowers, and pointelle material add feminine touches to your outfit. I think that rounder neckline styles such as sweetheart soften your outfit, so opt for those over square or deep necklines. The aforementioned details also apply to long-sleeved tops and off-the-shoulder tops. There's something really pretty about a top that's slightly off one shoulder, and I think this beauty fits well with Odette's. Babydoll tops also work really well to represent the White Swan!


Bottoms
I think Odette would probably also favour plain bottoms. Nothing too revealing or bold. For jeans, I would go with a light-wash or light-grey denim in feminine cuts such as flare, bootcut or (don't hate me) skinny jeans. Her skirts would be flowy, understated, and staples in her wardrobe. I think she would like pleated mini-skirts, satin midi-skirts, and ditsy floral patterns. For a cosy look, go for grey sweatpants, leggings or knit trousers. In colder weather, white or lace-patterned tights would be really cute. 

Dresses
For dresses, I would picture Odette wearing very simple white dresses in different fabrics such as cotton, broderie anglaise, lace, satin, and silk. Frills and bow details, and flowing sleeves to mimic swan wings are also welcome here. For formal events, Odette would choose princessy dresses with full or long skirts. I think low backlines can look incredibly classy if styled right, so if she felt like showing off her back this is where she would do it.

Sweaters and Jackets
Swans are covered in soft white feathers, and Odette's sweaters would be soft material too. Knit sweaters, button or tie cardigans, wrap cardigans, and basic hoodies would add a layer of warmth for those colder nights at the lake. Colours, as always, include white, pastel shades, and light greys. Swan motifs on sweaters are a really cute way to represent her swan self. Jackets and coats would also keep her warm during snowy winters. I would go for a puffer jacket for a casual look, or a structured coat for more dressy events. 

Shoes
I think Odette would wear delicate shoes like ballet flats or Mary Janes for her everyday looks. They represent her softness and are light enough for her to wander and dance. She would very rarely wear sneakers and if she did, they would be light in colour. Knit boots or Uggs also work for a day spent lounging. Her heels would favour stiletto types, with small ankle straps or even ribbons. I feel like they wouldn't be too high either, as stumbling would go against her refined image. 

Accessories
Last but not least, Odette's accessories! Odette is definitely a silver girly, as it matches the moon's reflection shining in the water. Her jewellery would be delicate and fine, featuring tiny chains, pearl earrings, and swan iconography. Other accessories she might wear are pearl hair clips, a small diamond ring, and a scarf (the one Nina wears in Black Swan), as it looks like her swan feathers.


This basically sums up the idea I had in my head for the White Swan's wardrobe. Odette is one of my favourite characters from ballet, so it was lovely to bring this to life. You can find all of these on my Pinterest. Next up: the White Swan's hair and makeup!

Lucy 






 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Becoming the White Swan: Hair and Makeup 🦢

Today I'll be covering the second part of the guide to becoming Odette, aka the White Swan from Swan Lake. I will go over both hair and ...