With a calm day spent today and a wellness event to attend tomorrow, I'm trying to de-stress and find inner peace. After a tough year of college, I feel like I deserve it. Will I find it? Maybe, maybe not. But anyway, doing yoga always makes me feel like a 2000s yoga mom who has her own studio and drinks green juice. So today I thought I'd share some tips and tricks that I personally use when I want to feel like her: peaceful, relaxed, and happy.
1. Take a yoga class, duh!
They wouldn't be yoga moms if they didn't do yoga. Yoga is easily accessible through online videos or in-person classes. For online videos, check out creators like Yoga with Adrienne, Black Yogi Nico Marie, and Move with Nicole. You can also go to in-person classes for a more immersive experience. Gyms or leisure centres usually have instructors that run yoga classes. Mine are free with my gym membership! Depending on your area, you might also find a handful of indie yoga teachers and studios to try out. My favourite poses are balasana (child's pose), virabhadrasana 2 (warrior 2 pose), and vrikshasana (tree pose).
2. Have a spa day
Take one evening off to give yourself the princess treatment you deserve. Take an everything shower, style your hair, do skincare, and watch a movie. The 2000s yoga mom would prefer clean, fresh scents with notes such as green tea, cucumber, white musk, neroli, or green apple. Some perfumes I've found that have similar vibes include Green Tea Cucumber by Elizabeth Arden, Be Delicious by DKNY, Earl Grey and Cucumber by Jo Malone, or the Rituals of Sakura range by Rituals. Bonus points for cucumber slices on your eyes while you do your face mask!
In the 2000s, phones were nowhere near as complex as they are now. They were used for calling your besties and playing snake, not doomscrolling. Try putting your phone down for a day and spend it with the people you love or doing things you enjoy. Take this time to let your brain unwind without having distractions 24/7. Maybe try out a new hobby, visit a new café, or get your 10k steps in.
4. Nourish your body
The saying 'you are what you eat' does have some truth to it. In my experience, when you eat better, you feel better mentally. Even if it's just the pride you get from eating healthy, it can be enough to boost your mood. When choosing your meals, try and prioritise whole foods. Aim to eat enough protein and fibre for your activity level. You should be having approximately 0.8g of protein for each kg of body weight. If you struggle with eating healthy, you can try including spinach or kale in a yummy berry smoothie, a scoop of protein powder in some yoghurt, or a handful of nuts for a snack. I try to include a source of protein with every meal I take. Enjoy sweet treats and alcohol in moderation, as life is too short to be perfect all the time!
The saying 'you are what you eat' does have some truth to it. In my experience, when you eat better, you feel better mentally. Even if it's just the pride you get from eating healthy, it can be enough to boost your mood. When choosing your meals, try and prioritise whole foods. Aim to eat enough protein and fibre for your activity level. You should be having approximately 0.8g of protein for each kg of body weight. If you struggle with eating healthy, you can try including spinach or kale in a yummy berry smoothie, a scoop of protein powder in some yoghurt, or a handful of nuts for a snack. I try to include a source of protein with every meal I take. Enjoy sweet treats and alcohol in moderation, as life is too short to be perfect all the time!
5. Journal or Meditate
In my mind, the 2000s yoga mom is utterly in tune with herself and her emotions. The best way I have found to emulate this is by journaling and meditating. I was assigned journaling by my counsellor, and it really helps me to unspool the tangled mess that is my brain and figure out what truly drives me forward and what holds me back. Treat yourself to a new journal and every night, write out your thought, worries, and daily happenings. Meditation is also paramount for my wellbeing. Often meditation is mistaken for a complete absence of thoughts and feelings, when really it's being able to assess them without attachment to them. There are so many different ways to meditate so find one that feels the most natural for you. Guided meditations are also available on Youtube and Spotify if you like having someone's voice to focus on. Try meditating before you go to bed for a peaceful night's rest.
Breathe in... Breathe out! Now you know how to live your life as calmly as a 2000s yoga mom. I very much love her aesthetic and try to apply her values to my everyday life. It's much easier said than done, but I am sure we can all find our stability somewhere. Let me know in the comments or on my TikTok @rosewaterandlace if you enjoyed this post.
Namaste,
Lucy ♡
(all photos from pinterest, bottom art by kanako)
No comments:
Post a Comment